Thursday, March 22, 2007

Normal

I have had more conversations (both in my head and with others) about that word. It’s relative in that there are varying degrees of normal, and while I realize this, I sometimes don’t even see myself sliding anywhere on that scale. What would it be like to wear that label…what if you were known by that: “Good to meet you, I’m Normal.” I remember watching a game show one time and the girl’s name was “Spontaneous”...I digress (I’m not spontaneous either). The dilemma regarding ‘normal’ is its definition. If I go by Webster’s (a: of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development b : free from mental disorder), then I have no problem (but, it feels like there’s a problem somewhere).

Taylor is tremendously normal, and sometimes beautifully more than that. She participated on the school’s “Quiz Bowl” team which won second place Tuesday night. I kissed her goodbye as she was leaving to catch the bus yesterday morning, and noticed she was wearing the ‘gold’ medal that she had won the night before. I confess I was a little uneasy, afraid that other kids would make fun of her for wearing it to school, so I cautiously asked if any of her peers would be wearing the same bling, if you will. She gave me a hesitant, “uh, yeah?” I remember the night before she had stated that “mom, a medal is better than a trophy because you can’t wear a trophy around your neck.” (She’s right…Vogue states that trophy-wearing is out this year, and that it’s all about the medals). So I sent my daughter off in a blaze of glory and watched her strut about 30 yards to the corner.

Is that normal? I don’t really care…that’s my kid, and I love her.
I guess, maybe, that’s what God might think about you and I as well.
Taylor left the house, comfortable in her own skin, content.
Lesson learned.

-juj

2 comments:

jodi said...

in this junior high environment which is ANYTHING but normal, taylor is as close to the definition as possible. taylor wears "normal" clothes, treats other people "normally", does her work like a "normal" student, and doesn't crave "abnormal" attention.

spend a day in this building, and you will appreciate even more just how normal taylor is.

Tersie said...

Congrats on the Quiz Bowl Taylor! I had fun watching it. Too bad they couldn't give trophies AND medals to first and second place. Fortunately, Brittany didn't try to wear her trophy to school the next day! ha!