Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"She Just Wants to Dance" -Keb 'Mo

"When the music starts to playin'
She slides out on the floor
Dancing without a partner
Swaying on the two & four

There's a rhythm in her footsteps
And a flower in her hair
A smile on her face
'Cause she's in a place
Where she don´t have a care

She ain't looking for no lover
She ain't looking for a romance
She just wants to dance
She just wants to dance
...Get out the way & let the girl dance."

In the past two years, I've asked friends to "re-teach" me things (ie, safety/normalcy in relationships, boundaries, being okay with myself, understanding I'm not at other's 'beck-and-call"---and to those friends, you have saved my life). Taylor taught me something huge the other night at the wedding reception of our friends, Jimmy & Michaela. As I watched my daughter move and dance in the craziest ways, I found myself admiring her ability to live in the moment regardless of pointing, laughter, and stares. I did not tell her to stop for fear of embarrassment; I wasn't embarrassed...I was in awe.

When do we lose that? Or rather, I should be asking why?

Taylor, you are beautiful!
-juj

3 comments:

theviolinist said...

i don't ever wanna lose that...i feel the same way about Maddie...she definitely doesn't have the same amount of inhibition i had at her age! i want to celebrate her individualism every day...i am in total admiration of my girls every day...

anna said...

i should probably try to lose that.

people are starting to question my mental health.

amlinp said...

I think taylor has alot of you and grandpa roger in her. I don't see her changing. it's so wonderful that you let her be who she is and don't dry to squash her. she is a lucky young lady to have a cool mom like you! Seriously...