Sunday, April 29, 2007

Tornado Party...Yee Haw!

As most of you are aware, a tornado (?) came through the area Thursday night, nearly interrupting Grey's Anatomy (whew!!). When Taylor and I caught word, we started calling loved ones and invited those nearby to join us, if needed, in the basement. I called our friend, Lisa, in Piketon to make her aware and I was amazed by her calm! I mean, she never gets worked up about anything, and that includes, apparently, cyclones as well. When I told Lisa that my parents, neighbors, and friends, Dave, Kendra, Isaiah, were at my home, she replied, "well, you all are just having a little tornado party...!" (how dare she make me laugh in the face of tragedy:)) Taylor, on the other hand, looked at me and said, "mom, I'm gonna vomit." Taylor has been deathly afraid of storms since she was younger...the sirens put her over the edge.

Lisa: no fear. Taylor: fear exemplified.
And I began to wonder about the scripture, I John 4:17-18:

"If we truly love others and live as Christ did in this world, we won't be worried about the day of judgment. A real love for others will chase those worries away. The thought of being punished is what makes us afraid. It shows that we have not really learned to love."

I still struggle with fear, but not too long ago, I was able to share my shame with a few of my closest friends, and they (appear) to still love me. When I did that, I saw that a lot of my fear had left me; they loved me through my confession with God's perfect love and have not abandoned me.

The laws of physics talk about the simple concept of inpenetrability: no two things can occupy the same space at the same time. FEAR VS. LOVE...hmmm.

What do you fear? I'd like to know your thoughts.

7 comments:

lauren. said...

spiders.

Jenn Ruggles said...

Storms, tornadoes(I am with ya Taylor), drowning, and people not liking me.

Jenn Ruggles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amlinp said...

Jullie,
I fear that I will never feel what I consider to be "normal" again.

Tersie said...

I'm with Taylor and Jenn. Storms are a terrible fear of mine! It was so hard to be brave for my girls in the face of that storm. Jym Ganahal and the mighty Ben Gelber helped talk me through the storm though. I think I would have been a nervous wreck if the power or cable had gone out and I didn't get to hear the minute by minute update on where the storm was located.

And the worst kind of creepie crawlies ... snakes (creepy) and ticks (yuk!!). I think I'm more scared of the illnesses that ticks can pass along than I am of the tick itself. But it's still a disgusting little critter to have to look at. I get the willies just thinking about them!! ewwwwwwww!!!

Jenn Ruggles said...

Okay so I forgot one of my worst fears but was reminded of it tonight when I got home and Eli is not here. I am afraid of the dark. Yep that silly fear we all have when we are little, I still have. I probably won't sleep for the next four nights. I have to have every light in the house on and some type of noise turned up for all to hear.

anna said...

deer.

but mostly, i fear i will not do enough in the short time i have on this earth.